Friday, September 18, 2009

Theatre Education

I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to describe the passion I have for theatre education.
Or if I’ll ever really understand myself why I love it so much.
But there is something about high school theatre kids that I just adore.
The joy that comes on their faces as they talk with a friend about a show they both know and love.
The nervous excitment they have before going onstage and doing something they never thought they would be able to do.
The look in their eyes as they listen to you, and trust you, and believe in you as their teacher and director.
The bond they form as cast memebers and friends that reminds you excatly of the relationships you formed back then and still cherish now.
The giddy feelings they express as they become enthralled and fascinated with aspects of theatre they never knew existed before.
The excitement they have in talking about their favorite theatre memories.
The hard work and faith they put into a project you created just for them.
The smiles on their faces and hugs backstage after bows on opening night.
Theatre has this amazing power to bring people together in ways that never seemed possible.
It has a power to teach and communicate messages in ways nothing else can.
It has the ability to give the outcasts a place to fit in and feel loved.
This is why I do Theatre Education. (Among other reasons)
This is why I’m devoting my life to high school theatre.
This is what makes me feel complete.

3 comments:

Karina May said...

Heather, you are precious. I love you so much and I love how much you love Theatre Ed :) I know for a fact that you will be a fantastic teacher. Those Theatre Workshop kids adored you, I know this from what they said, what their parents said, and their camp evaluations. You're amazing! And I'm glad I'm as passionate about Geography as you are about Theatre, other wise I'd be jealous ;)

heartandmusic said...

Karina, I actually wrote this at Theatre Camp! Those kids made me realize my passion even more.
Ahhh. GOOOOD times.

Joseph Keller Math 485 said...

Heather. You are seriously going to be the best teacher ever. We all need to live by one another so that Karina's kids and my kids can all have you as as teacher!

I think some teachers lack that passion, which is unfortunate.